Cristiano Ronaldo has admitted that Maurizio Sarri was right to substitute him twice for Juventus – as he was playing injured.
The Portuguese superstar prompted speculation of a row between him and boss Sarri after charging straight down the tunnel following his withdrawal in the clash with AC Milan.
Ronaldo was replaced after 55 minutes of the Serie A fixture, but did not even stick around till full-time, leaving the stadium before the match had ended.
It came just days after he had been subbed by Sarri in the Champions League tie with Lokomotiv Moscow,with Sarri claiming he took the decision due to Ronaldo having an ongoing knee problem.
Now Ronaldo has poured cold water over any rumours of a rift, by accepting Sarri made the right calls.
“In the last three weeks I have been limited,” Ronaldo said, as reported by Football Italia. “Everyone knows that I don’t like to be substituted, but there was no problem in my gestures after the change. I tried to help Juventus by playing injured.
“No one likes to be replaced, but I understand it, because I wasn’t well in those two games. I wasn’t 100%.”
Ronaldo has since made a swift recovery to help Portugal qualify for Euro 2020, where they will look to defend their crown.
The 34-year-old netted a hat-trick in Thursday’s 6-0 drubbing of Lithuania, before scoring a late goal in the 2-0 defeat of Luxembourg.
He is now just one goal shy of scoring 100 times at international level.
Juventus full-back Danilo claimed that Ronaldo told him Brazil would have won the World Cup five more times by now had he played for the Selecao.