Liverpool’s reported pursuit of Nabil Fekir certainly appears to have the full approval of current Reds star Sadio Mane, who believes the Lyon forward could do ‘beautiful things’ at Anfield.
Speculation regarding a move to Merseyside for Fekir reached fever pitch on Sunday, with reports from French outlets RMC Sport and Canal+ claiming that Liverpool had reached a £62million agreement including bonuses to sign him during the forthcoming summer transfer window.
The 24-year-old was said to have already settled on a five-year contract with the Champions League finalists and the deal is also likely to involve Yassin Fekir following his older brother to England.
Former Liverpool boss Gerard Houllier, who currently acts as an advisor to Lyon president Jean-Michel Aulas, supposedly played a key role in negotiations.
Mane is evidently excited about the prospect of Liverpool’s blistering attack being further strengthened by the arrival of a player who has scored 20 goals and provided eight assists across all competitions for Lyon so far this season.
He told SFR Sport: ‘He could do beautiful things here and he will enjoy his time with us. We always need players like him and if he joins us it will be fire.’
Jurgen Klopp played down reports of Fekir’s imminent arrival following a 1-0 Premier League defeat by Chelsea on Sunday, telling reporters at Stamford Bridge: ‘During the game, we agreed a deal? I would be surprised about that to be honest. No comment.’
Responding to further suggestions that Liverpool are also chasing the signature of Barcelona’s Ousmane Dembele, he added: ‘Oooh, is he on the market? Now I am interested. I never comment on transfer rumours.’
Aulas also dismissed the speculation following a 3-0 Ligue 1 win over Troyes that saw Bruno Genesio’s second-place side bolster their hopes of automatic qualification for next season’s Champions League group stage.
‘We have had no contact with Liverpool. Fekir is here,’ he said. ‘We hope to keep him and have him playing the Champions League with us next year.’
Fekir, who played 78 minutes of that aforementioned victory at Parc Olympique Lyonnais, also reiterated his commitment to Lyon while speaking to the press.
‘We discussed some things after [CSKA] Moscow [knocked Lyon out of the Europa League in March] and managed to straighten things out,’ he said.
‘I am still in Lyon. We still have two games left [this season]. I am good here. This club is in my heart.’