Chelsea’s pursuit of West Ham striker Andy Carroll appears to be unravelling after tests reportedly showed the striker’s ankle injury could rule him out for up to six weeks.
The potential transfer could now be off the cards, and it is believed there is a possibility the striker could even require surgery. Should Carroll need to go under the knife, he could face up to four months out.
Carroll has not been training with his team-mates after picking up a knock.
According to the Telegraph, a scan on Thursday showed that the damage to Carroll’s ankle could be worse than feared. The forward, whose career has been hampered by a string of injury problems, is reportedly devastated after suffering another setback.
The news is a big blow for Chelsea, too, who are now reportedly unlikely to follow up their interest during this transfer window, despite Antonio Conte’s desire to add to his striking options.
Earlier this week the Premier League champions made contact with their London rivals to discuss a potential move for Carroll. It is believed Chelsea would prefer to land the striker on loan until the end of the season whereas West Ham would rather sell him for £20million.
Chelsea’s out-of-favour forward Michy Batshuayi has been linked with a move in the other direction. West Ham boss Moyes was watching on as the Belgium international netted in the FA Cup victory over Norwich on Wednesday.
Speaking after his side’s victory over Shrewsbury, however, Moyes said he wanted Carroll to stay.
‘Carroll is part of my squad,’ Moyes said. ‘I want to add to my squad, not lose anybody.There have been a lot of rumours regarding a loan but as far as I know it’s not officially come from Chelsea.